Hair | How I Deep Condition


Deep conditioning is one of those parts of my hair routine which I will not compromise on, no matter how tired or lazy I'm feeling. I really do believe that deep conditioning regularly is one of the key aspects of keeping chemically treated, relaxed or dry hair in good condition. I do it every time my hair is washed (1-2 times weekly). I probably deep condition more than is necessary, but it works for me so I've stuck with it.

I often get questions on how I use a deep conditioner and honestly, I don't think I do anything out of the ordinary. I use a range of deep conditioners including JOICO Moisture Recovery Treatment Balm (pictured).


In general I try to stick to the following:

1 Wet but not soaking wet hair
I like the idea of conditioning hair which is dry as then it can absorb more of the product but as I always shampoo before I condition I rarely do this. Instead I always try to get as much water out of my hair before applying conditioner, sometimes even allowing it to airdry for 10-15 minutes.

2 Add ingredients
I love adding extra oils and glycerine to my conditioners to give it an extra kick. I usually mix up batches in separate containers and apply when needed. What you add is entirely up to you. You can experiment with adding stuff from your kitchen like Olive Oil, Avocado and Coconut Milk. If I add anything that might perish quickly I usually put any left over conditioner mix in the fridge and use it as soon as possible.

3 Condition in sections
My hair is so prone to tangling I like to thoroughly detangle and separate my hair in 2-4 sections. This ensures the conditioner is evenly spread across the hair. Once I'm done I twist the sections individually and roll them up into bantu knots to keep them together.

4 Apply more to the ends
I try to concentrate most of the deep conditioner on the lengths of my hair which are more fragile. I then apply it to the rest of my hair, trying to keep the conditioner off of my scalp to prevent build-up. I also like to apply a little around my edges which need a little extra TLC.

5 Plastic Cap/Wrap/Bag
I don't have a steamer and it's unlikely I'll get one as I just don't have anywhere to put it. To achieve a similar effect I try to generate steam from the warmth of my head by covering my hair with either a plastic cap, wrap or a bag to keep the heat in. I leave this on until I'm ready to rinse.

6 Leave for at least 5 minutes
No matter how much I'm strapped for time I always leave on my deep conditioner for at least 5 minutes. It may not sound like much but I personally don't think it's necessary to devote hours to wash days. The maximum I spend with deep conditioner on tends to be about 30 minutes.


What do you do when you deep condition?

Lesley x